Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A few recent highlights

Last weekend I managed to hook my two largest fish to date!  Sadly I only landed one of them.  I landed a 22 inch 4.8 pound Bluefish!  What a fight and what teeth marks on my lure (Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow)  I also had luck the night before buck-tailing in the dark.  I had an epic fight; the strike was like nothing I'd ever felt before...or since.  The fight lasted about four or five minutes before the fish outsmarted me and either parked itself in the rocks or wrapped me around something.  My fight with an immovable object...whatever it was lasted at least another ten or fifteen minutes as I worked up and down the beach trying to free my catch and buck-tail.  It was not to be and I eventually broke off losing my personal best and a favorite buck-tail.  All this ended up with me making a trip to the B&T this week to "resupply."  Two new buck-tails, one with an eel tail, and one in a lighter weight.  I also added a jointed Bomber Long A with a rattle and bit more weight for those windy days.  I'm going to try and make it out this week and maybe spend a bunch of time this weekend.  So far the fall run has been good to me.  I'm really starting to contemplate gearing up so that I can continue to fish as the weather gets worse.  What should I invest in?  Waders?  Neoprene or breathable?  Dry top?  Let me know what is essential to having a good time fishing in cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment