Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Heartbreak

Daybreak on "my" jetty again and I am having no luck as usual.  I've brought both rods this time and it's a good thing because I end up with a rather serious wind knot, my first, in the first hour of fishing.  I decide not to mess with it and switch to the other.  I have a few nibbles, but nothing significant.  I decide that I'm just going to work on my casting technique and distance because I recently witnessed a feeding frenzy about fifteen yards beyond my previous best cast.

I put on a diamond jig and start trying to slow down my motion, focusing on the mechanics of the cast rather than pure power.  I find that my releases are somewhat inconsistent and that is hurting my distance.  Sometimes my lure takes off for the stratosphere like a rocket and in turn lands short because I've waster so much for the energy on altitude rather than longitude.  I play around with a few different way of holding the line as well as the drop from the tip and figure out my sweet spot.  I must have looked like I knew what I was doing to all but an experienced fisherman since I drew a bit of a crowd.  Joggers often stop by where I like to fish as there is a porta-poty for their early morning pit-stop.  I decide to switch lures and reach for my favorite casting lure, the Gags Bluefish Bomb.  This lure casts farther than anything I've ever used; it's aerodynamic, heavy and doesn't have a lot hanging off of it.  I wind up and throw my weight into it...next thing I know my rod feel strange and I realize that the lure has liberated itself from my line.  DAMN.  The good news was that I easily reached the distance that the feeding frenzy was.  So feeling satisfied with my cast, but heartbroken at the loss of my lure coupled with my previous wind knot I decided to call it a day.  That ends yet another unsuccessful day of fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment